Monday, October 27, 2008

NBA Fantasy Draft

Friday night was the big one, the live draft of our fantasy basketball league. I did my prep in the lead up to it reading a number of ESPN articles, Yahoo stories and some of the Dime posts.

Some of the boys descended upon The Shop early and we grabbed some Thai for dinner. Another couple joined us during dinner and we came back to the office to set up and have a few pre-draft drinks.

30 minutes before the draft begins the order is announced and unfortunately yours truly gets the unlucky last spot. The first spot is the poisoned-chalice, it sounds great because you get to choose the best player but then you have to wait until the end of the second round (in our league that's another 23 picks) before you get another pick. The final spot is tough because you get the 12th and 13th pick which means you miss out on the upper echelon of players (top 4 or 5) and after your first two selections you have to wait until pick number 36 before you're up again.

I had a strategy going in to the draft but found it very tough to get the type of players I was after. I was after point guards and power forwards but my picks just didn't seem to fall in to the right place to get the right value. I openly admit to over-paying for a couple of my squad but I was pleased to get my hands on a couple of players I really wanted.

So here's my squad and the position they were drafted:

12. Steve Nash
(I've never owned Steve, he's my favourite player, I wanted a top-tier point guard and he was basically all that was left. Taken a little too high but I'm ok with that.)
13. Danny Granger
(Also taken too early but has a good upside this season and should be the go-to guy for the Pacers)
36. Hedo Turkoglu
(I drafted Hedo in the 11th round last season and he was outstanding for me. He should be good again this year and will essentially play the point guard role.)
37. Carmelo Anthony
60. Devin Harris
61. Al Horford
(I needed a bigman and took Al a little early but he was solid for me last year and should be even better this season. The other bigmen options were more risky propositions so I'm ok with Horford here.)
84. Troy Murphy
(Murphy finished last season strongly and is tipped to be a bit of a sleeper this season)
85. Luol Deng
108. Nick Collison
109. Steve Blake
(I think the beers kicked in by this stage and for some reason I thought we were close to the last pick and I wanted another point-guard ... yes, WAY too early for Blake.)
132. Mickael Pietrus
(Potential sleeper and I was trying to load up on triples with Nash, Granger, Turk, Murphy, etc)
133. Chris Wilcox
156. Rodney Stuckey
157. Jason Maxiell
(Rodney or Jason should be the sleeper for the aging Pistons this season, if either of them are then they're a steal in the last round.)

I didn't want as many swingmen as I drafted so I need to trade for some dominant power-forward/bigmen. David West is high up on the hot list and the wheels are in motion already ...

(Can my boy Steve Nash lead my squad to the fantasy promised land, not to mention the cash prize that's up for grabs in our league this season?!)


No comments: