Friday, May 23, 2014

The latest on the return of Brisbane to the NBL

After speculation earlier in the week that the Southern Districts Spartans were the leading candidate to secure the rights to an NBL license in Brisbane, it seems that isn't the case. Here's an update from Boti Nagy after speaking with the NBL CEO.

Brisbane Bizarros but the NBL will be back

NBL Chief Executive Officer Fraser Neill is more than buoyed after meeting yesterday with a group keen to back a Brisbane-based team from 2015-16 onwards.

In fact, he was almost ecstatic.

“I met with some business people in Brisbane with good business acumen and we are working with them to put together a good plan,” he told me today.

“It will happen.

“Brisbane is a good, strong market, with sensible planning and strong management we believe it can work.”

Neill said whether the new Brisbane NBL club would retain the Bullets name or move to a new moniker was still to be determined.

“These are questions we now have four months to work on,” he said.

“Is the Bullets brand still strong? Would it be better to start with a new name?

“These are the sorts of questions we now have time to go back and work out.”

Neill said he found a recent television report and newspaper coverage of an NBL bid by Brisbane Spartans to be “bizarre”.

“We have had no contact at all with any Brisbane Spartans group – none,” he said.

“It’s quite bizarre.”

To read the rest of the article, click here

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Derek Rucker returning to the game?

If you haven't heard the news this week, our three-team NBL legend, Derek Rucker is working on playing in the QBL this season for the Gladstone Port City Power.

Check out Wayne Heming's interview with him here:

Go get em D-Ruck! #Dontcallitacomeback

Grab your Derek Rucker tees here: