Monday, April 5, 2010

Foot Locker Elite Classic - Day 0

I say Day 0 because the tournament doesn't actually get underway until tomorrow so today was the day before day 1.

I was up at 4:40 in order to finish my packing and get to the airport in time for my 6:30 flight to Adelaide. When I checked in to Virgin Blue I noticed my seat number looked like it was down the back but for some reason I didn't think to change it. Having dated a Virgin Blue flight attendant and knowing a few others, I was aware that they put kids, babies, families down the back of the plane. I found myself sitting next to a mum with 2 young kids which wasn't too bad until 20 minutes or so before we landed and all hell broke loose. Note to self: make sure to sit down the front on the way home.

When we landed in Adelaide, I got a lift in to the city with Mark Bradtke, Deba George and a couple of the guys that were helping run the tournament. I caught up with JVG at the Stamford and met a few of the players who had already arrived and were waiting to check-in. More players and coaches arrived gradually throughout the day and the hotel was soon buzzing.

I helped collect bios on the players for One and had to call a few of the guys that hadn't arrived to fill theirs in over the phone. The first was my boy John Rillie and the next was Stephen Hoare who both fly in tomorrow and then one of the local Adelaide guys (who I caught up with at the Dome.)

In the afternoon we headed out to the Adelaide Dome to meet with the guys who are running the broadcast, while a number of the teams had shoot-arounds at another stadium. We had a meeting in the Sixers lounge surrounded by team pictures of all the Adelaide players throughout the years. Before we left we saw some of the sequences and imagining One are running during the event ... they look pretty good. Cal Bruton gave us a lift back in to town where we grabbed some dinner before the evenings events.

I had some running around to do before a meeting with all the players and coaches. It was essentially a welcome to everyone, a run through of what would be happening over the next week and what ECB's expectations were of those involved.

The day begins early tomorrow and after my 4:40 start this morning its a quiet night in for me and hopefully a good night sleep. Can't wait for the tournament to get started tomorrow!


No comments: