Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Shawn Marion ... how not to shoot free-throws

I'm sitting here watching the replay of the Bucks vs Mavs game on OneHD ... I know the result because I was following the box-scores during the day. I've just text a friend of mine who's a Dallas fan, he's devastated that they lost this game at home (despite being up 42 - 22 in the middle of the 2nd quarter) ending their 12 game winning streak.

Anyway, I mentioned the other day about Andrew Bogut's free-throw shooting shame against the Orlando Magic and it was interesting to hear the commentators address that issue. Apparently due to the severe elbow injury that ended last season for him, he can't bend or raise his elbow to the right position to shoot free-throws properly. After seeing the fall he took, that certainly shines light on his struggles from the line this season ... apologies big fella.

But ... it wasn't long after that Shawn (the artist formerly known as The Matrix) Marion got fouled and went to the line. I know I haven't seen a lot of NBA games over the last few years pre-OneHD but I was shocked to say the least when I saw his free-throw shooting form ... or lack there of. Now, Marion has always been criticized for his general shooting technique, but I had never realised this continued at the line.

Exhibit A:



Exhibit B:



Now, I know these clips are both from a couple of years ago, but trust me ... it hasn't improved any. His "flicky" style is how I'd shoot a free-throw after not picking up a ball for over a year. Five minutes later tho, my form would be looking drastically better.

In Marion's defence, he's shooting an impressive 83% from the line this season and is 81% on his career. The average free-throw shooting percentage in the NBA is around 75% so Marion is definitely ahead of that. So I guess it really doesn't matter "how" you shoot free-throws ... as long as you make them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Him making baskets is a phenomenon.