Sunday, February 14, 2010

NBA All-Star Saturday night

I haven't seen my parents for a little while so after the Reds snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the rugby, I went round to their place and stayed the night. Other than catching up with them and doing the good son thing, they have Foxtel so I got to watch the NBA All-Star Saturday night.

Saturday's events start with the shooting stars, the skills challenge, the 3-point contest and then the dunk comp. With my focus on basketball shooting, the shooting stars was a warm-up for my favourite event of All-Star weekend, the 3-point contest.

This year's contest was very competitive. Usually someone stinks it up in the opening round but just three points separated first (Stephen Curry) and last place (Channing Frye & defending champ Daequan Cook). Paul Pierce stepped up in the final round to take the title, highlights are below.

The 3-point contest is just over too quickly for my liking. I'd like to see the contestants get 2 attempts in each round and their best score counts. This would mean that if someone stank up one go they could redeem themselves and would take out a little of the luck involved in the contest.

In other events from the night, it was good to see my boy Steve Nash take out the skills challenge and it was no surprise that the Texas team took out the shooting stars challenge. As you'll no doubt read everywhere, the dunk comp was very disappointing. G-Wallace is my boy, but he really phoned this one and just didn't seem interested. Shannon Brown didn't do much better and all the dunks throughout the contest were basically uninspired.

No comments: