Monday, September 29, 2008

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

I got a text from one of my mates on Saturday morning to check out a story (linked below) on Dime about one of my all-time favourite NBA players, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (formerly Chris Jackson). There are a number of factors that my favourite players have in common ... short (like me), usually a point guard, underdog and a great shooter. Mahmoud encompasses all of these and so much more. He is one of the best/hottest shooters you'll ever see and one of the NBA's greatest ever free-throw shooters. When he got on a roll, there was NO ONE that could stop him (see below). His Denver Nuggets jersey that I own is still one of my favourites and is worn all the time.

NBA Rumors - Trades - Free Agents - Basketball Olympics - Dime Magazine
Feb. 4, 1996. MJ, Scottie, Rodman and the Bulls rode into Denver on an 18-game win streak during the season in which they’d win an NBA-record 72 and claim the Chicago’s fourth championship. But on this night, Jordan and Co. were torn to shreds by Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, whose Lottery-bound squad handed the Bulls their fourth loss of that season. Abdul-Rauf’s 32-point, 9-assist stat line wasn’t historic, but just watch how he plays a near-perfect game from the point guard spot.

If you've never heard of him, then kids its time to learn. Here's a really interesting story about the person more so than the player and what happened after "that" moment in his life:

5280.com - October 2007 - The Conversion of Chris Jackson
Years later, at Gulfport High School, the basketball coach offered his players an incentive: They could shave minutes off practice by hitting consecutive free throws. Every successful consecutive shot meant less running and fewer drills. One day Chris was the shooter. He made 283 shots in a row. Practice was cancelled that day.


And if you're not yet convinced about what a special player/person he was, check out him in full flow dropping 51 on the Utah Jazz:


2 comments:

BeƱat said...

Hello!!
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf is my favourite player and I have came across this webpage.
His personal information and history is impressive and his style and the way that he scored and shoot unbelieveble. I admire you because you have the jersey and this is something that I will probably don't have, because I am from europe and nobody knows him.

I was totally shocked by his history, but when I realised that he was born the same day as I did and he started playing in the NBA in the year of my birth...I was totally impressed.
Thank you!
Best wishes

Benat

Dodge Taylor said...

Hi Benat,

Thank you for the comment and great story!

I am a massive fan of Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. His jersey is still my favourite, probably because there are so few of them around.

I love watching him play. He's such an unassuming person but when he was on he was unstoppable ... as proven by him destroying the Bulls at their peak. Everything about his game is smooooothe.

Get on eBay, grab yourself a Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf jersey, you have to!

Dodge